Friday, April 23, 2010

Childhood Vignette, Part 1

I am seven or eight years old.  

I wake up in the middle of the night regretting drinking that third glass of Kool-Aid.  Sleepily tossing the covers aside, I make my way in the dark to the upstairs bathroom. That bathroom is a little scary, but it beats going all the way downstairs.  I quietly open the door, tiptoe to the toilet, do my business, and put my hand on the handle to flush. 

Wait.  Flushing might not be a good idea.  Hmm.  

I slowly and gently begin to walk into my parents' bedroom.  They are both sleeping, and I head over to my dad's side with the stealth of a ninja. 

"Dad," I whisper.  No response.  

"Dad!" I say a tad more urgently. 
He awakes with a start, probably confused as to why his seven or eight year-old daughter is inexplicably standing over him while he sleeps.  
"What?" he says. 
"Can I flush the toilet?" I whisper.
"What?" he says, clearly still wondering what the hell is going on. 
"Can I flush the toilet?" I whisper forcefully.  
"Yes, why wouldn't you be able to flush the toilet?" 
"I didn't want to wake anybody up," I reply.

3 comments:

  1. hahaha from paige

    ReplyDelete
  2. you knew better not to wake me huh!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. now nothing wakes you up in the middle of the night not even lucy staring in your face barking....

    ReplyDelete