Thursday, April 22, 2010

Thinking about work, even on Spring Break

I am a high school Spanish teacher.  I teach a little over 100 freshmen every day.  

*Disclaimer:  I absolutely adore my job and my students.  These quotes are not unique to any one student, which is why they made it to this list.* 

5 things you shouldn't ask/say to your Spanish teacher
  • "How do you say TACOS in Spanish?" I'm not kidding.  Same goes for quesadillas, tortillas, and nachos.  
  • "Does this need to be in Spanish?" Nah, you can write it in English.  's'all good.  We aren't in Spanish class or anything.  Write it in Urdu if you wish. 
  •  "Me llamo es Pablo."  For the love of all that is holy, there is no "es" in that phrase!  Not only does it say "Me llamo ______" at the top of each and every paper I've ever handed out to you, but I have also never uttered the word "es" when stating my name.  I've also specifically pointed out that you do not add in the word "es," because then the phrase would translate to "I call myself is ____." 
  • "Do you take off for spelling?"  Take off for spelling?!  No way!  Go ahead and string together as many random letters as you'd like.  It's only a foreign language.  It doesn't matter, right?  I can just pretend that you spelled the word correctly.  No worries.  
  • "Accents don't matter!"  Oh?  I'm gonna introduce you to a word where a little squiggly line makes all the difference: el año.  Many of you know that means "year."  iFeliz año nuevo!  Happy New Year!  Take away that pretty little tilde over the "n" and you have something completely different:  anus.  Now your lovely tidings of love and prosperity for the new year are tarnished.  iFeliz ano nuevo!  Happy New Anus!  Still think the accents don't matter?  
 I swear my next post won't be a Top # list. 

2 comments:

  1. There are a lot of words in French that are spelled the same way as the English. They're just pronounced "with a French accent," which is what I tell my kids.

    I do a lot of crossword puzzles and word searches for basic vocabulary with my 7th graders, because let's be honest, they're 12. At least one kid in my three classes will ask "Do we write the words in French?" Well yeah, Swahili would be pretty hard. I LOVE that you use Urdu as your snarky comment. I <3 Jean!

    I call myself [My name is] = Je m'appelle. Not so much a problem with the pronunciation but the SPELLING: J'ai mapple comes up a lot. Seriously you guys. Look at the top of EVERY SINGLE PAPER I have ever given you.

    I wish I had some gems of my own to add...I love these kids and they absolutely make my day. Every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! I say these things with a tone of sarcasm, but I totally love them! :)

    I TOTALLY used Urdu because of Jean!

    ReplyDelete