Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Caution: I have an overdeveloped sense of entitlement

Tomorrow, I'm getting my wisdom teeth out.  As I am the type of person who A) likes to be prepared, and B) is always afraid the most routine, common things are going to kill me, I decided to run some last-minute errands/get my affairs in order in case, well, you know...


So I decided to go to the bank, to the grocery store, and to Taco Bell.  Where else would I go for my possible last lunch? 


Anyway, upon entering the bank's parking lot, I noticed a minivan with a particularly large sign on the back.  The sign read: "CAUTION  SHOW DOGS."  


I immediately became enraged for the following reasons: 


  1. The fact that this person believes that his or her SHOW dog is more important than anyone else's regular dog.  Apparently you can drive like an idiot if a REGULAR dog is in the car, but if you so much as come within a mile of the owner's precious show dogs, then you have another thing coming! 
  2. That the owner assumes I am driving like a maniac and that his/her sign will put me in check.  In general, I swerve all over the road, pass people on the right, slam into other drivers' back ends, and drive through red lights.  But if I see a "CAUTION SHOW DOGS" sign, I will definitely stop being a danger to myself and others behind the wheel. 
  3.  That anyone would spend $16 on that stupid sign. Who seriously sits at their desk and says, "I need to order a sign to put on the car to protect my precious show dogs?"  Who takes out their credit card and punches in their card number, expiration date, and security code to pay sixteen dollars for a sign like that?  I really want to know who has that kind of time on their hands. 
  4. It reminded me of the "Baby on Board" signs, which also piss me off.  I guess adults, teenagers, and non-show dogs don't matter.  Only babies and show dogs deserve a safe road to drive on.  
I walked into the bank, not sure what to expect.  There was one younger woman, and one older woman.  The younger woman left and got into a different vehicle, so it was the old lady with the curly white hair.  I wondered immediately if her show dogs were poodles, because of the old "people look like their dogs" thing.  She stood at the teller looking impatient, and I had to hold myself back from saying something sarcastic about how I hope people were careful on the road, because there were obviously show dogs in tow out in the parking lot.  

At least my chicken quesadilla and nachos and cheese were excellent. 


I'm off to make a "CAUTION, PEOPLE ON BOARD" sign.  Ciao! 


-R

3 comments:

  1. My mom once asked me for a bumper sticker that said "I'd rather be fishing". That in itself is not bad, but then she continued to tell me she wanted it for her briefcase. Why a medical receptionist has a briefcase is beyond me. Needless to say she did not get a bumper sticker that year.
    -Jen M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha...love it! Smart move with Taco Bell.

    ReplyDelete