Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Childhood Vignette, Part 2

I am nine or ten years old. 

My mother, aunt, and I are in the kitchen. 

It is summer. 

Mom is making eggs, or maybe French toast, for breakfast.  Since I am just standing there like a lump watching her, she goes to me first when she needs help. 

"R, go get me the whisk, please?" She asks. 

I am confused, but I obey.  I return about five seconds later, from the laundry room next to the kitchen, laundry detergent in hand.

"What is that?"  my mother says.

"The Wisk," I respond.

My aunt laughs, and my mom calls me an idiot.  

I learn what a whisk is, and what it feels like to have my mother tongue betray me.  


-R

3 comments:

  1. This is my girlfriend, too. Her family calls her Amelia Bedelia. I hear stories all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, Amelia Bedelia. Perfect name for it! I have lots of memories of taking things very literally as a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was younger I was told to go draw a bath. 10 minutes later I come back crying, pen and paper in hand, that I cannot draw a bath.

    ReplyDelete