Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Facebook can read minds.

There is nothing worse than getting excited to eat/make something delicious, only to find out that you lack ONE ingredient, one crucial ingredient, required for making it, and consequently eating it.  

3 Ingredients that it really sucks to not have
  • Milk.  I can't tell you how many times I've gotten snuggled into my bed, with visions of Cap'n Crunch with Crunchberries dancing in my head, almost bursting with excitement to wake up and devour a bowl or two.  The alarm clock, once a device made to torture and taunt, becomes akin to the sounds of steel drums on a white sandy beach, simply because there is a fresh box of Cap'n Crunch in the cupboard.  I bound down the stairs, grab the biggest bowl I can find (and, preferably, a wooden spoon) and pour the delicious cereal.  I open the fridge to get some ice cold milk, and lo and behold, THERE IS NONE!  Deflated, I almost always check the fridge for a liquid that would mesh well with the flavors of the cereal.  I once tried ginger ale.  No.  I'm not sure how cereal was invented, or who thought to put the substance a cow uses to nourish her calf atop it, but he or she created a real problem for those of us who run out of milk and would like some cereal anyway.  
  • Oil/Eggs.  These are considered one ingredient, because it doesn't matter which one is missing, the outcome is the same:  you can't make the freaking cake.  Tonight was one such moment.  The "calories" part of my blog name refers to the fact that I am on a constant quest to eat better, exercise more, and be healthier in general.  But every so often (read: at least once a week), I go into pathetic mode, where I would do almost anything to eat cake.  Picture this:  I am shoulder-deep into the cupboard looking for cake mix, when I finally lay my eyes on some delicious yellow cake mix, the Pillsbury Doughboy looking at me with an approving smile.  Victory!  I pre-heated the oven.  I took out my cake pan and sprayed it with some non-stick cooking spray.  I grabbed a bowl (the same one I use to eat my Cap'n Crunch).  I read the ingredients needed:  water, oil, and 2 eggs.  I had just been to Wegmans and gotten a carton of eggs.  I obviously have water because I live in the year 2010.  Oil?  When was the last time I had ever needed to use oil?  I DON'T THINK I HAVE ANY OIL!  I again found myself shoulder-deep in the cupboards, though this time I think the Doughboy was shaking his head, ashamed at what a person would do to eat some empty calories.  While I turned off the oven and threw the cake pan into the sink, I wondered silently if I could use olive oil.  Then I remembered that I have googled that at least 2 other times, and no, you can't use olive oil if you want it to taste anything like cake.  
  • Bread.  I don't think I really need to explain this one.  You really want a sandwich with all the trimmings (note: trimmings is a funny word), and you don't have any bread.  Usually for me, I have none of the trimmings, and probably not even the basic parts of the sandwich (meat or cheese).  So I guess the bread isn't the worst thing not to have.  I should change that to "stuff for sandwiches."  Sandwiches are delicious, so I'm not sure why I rarely have ANY of the ingredients for them. 
 Just to make this problem worse, it appears that Facebook can tell when you are really craving one of the above things.  After the cake debacle tonight, I logged onto Facebook to beg my friends to bring me cupcakes, and one of the ads on the right side of my main page was a recipe for chocolate cake.  


Facebook: 1  R: zed 


-R

3 comments:

  1. yes the lack of oil has stopped you from creating some cakes for us to munch on....it also appears as though the lack of oil makes it almost impossible to put the REST of the ingredients away including the pans hmmmm strange

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may have embellished the part where I said I "threw the cake pan into the sink." I took some liberties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally understand missing ingredients... and never having bread. Ours gets moldy before we eat it all, and then we have none when we want it. I've taken to making my own: I don't always spend the whole time making it, but will use a quick bread recipe to make up some sandwich rolls, or foccacia style bread: amazing for sandwiches, and way healthier. And, you can use olive oil in foccacia! let me know if you want the recipe.

    ReplyDelete